Filed Under Fort Benton

T.C. Power Building

Fort Benton Historic District

In 1867, merchant T. C. Power, destined to become one of the state’s wealthiest and most influential men, brought his first wagonload of goods to Fort Benton, where he set up shop in a borrowed tent. Still in business in 1916, Power constructed a new grocery and department store to cater to “sodbusters” during the homestead boom. Architect George H. Carsley, who was Power’s neighbor in Helena, designed the stylish, two-story brick building. A flat roof, decorative brackets, and series of second-story windows are architecturally representative of the period.

Images

T.C. Power Building T.C. Power Building. Front to side view of the building, facing north near the intersection of Front Street and 17th Street. B&W. Source: Overholser Historical Research Center, Fort Benton Tour; Fort Benton, MT Creator: Photographer unidentified Date: Date unknown
T.C. Power Building T.C. Power Building. Front view of the building, facing north to northwest on Front Street. Source: Overholser Historical Research Center, Fort Benton Tour; Fort Benton, MT Creator: Ken Robison Date: July 2020

Location

1700 Front Street, Fort Benton, Montana | Private

Metadata

The Montana National Register Sign Program, “T.C. Power Building,” Historic Montana, accessed December 1, 2022, https://historicmt.org/items/show/234.