Filed Under Fort Benton

McGraw's Saloon

Fort Benton Historic District

After the turn of the twentieth century homesteaders poured into Montana, and by 1910 the area’s land office at Great Falls processed between a thousand and fifteen hundred homestead filings per month. The peaceful little river town of Fort Benton boomed again. Increased population meant more business, and longtime saloon proprietor John H. McGraw took advantage of the times, building a new club in 1912. Dark maroon bricks and lovely tile inserts reveal the availability of better, more durable materials than the soft local brick used in the previous century.

Images

McGraw's Saloon McGraw's Saloon. Front view of the building, facing northwest on Front Street. Source: Overholser Historical Research Center, Fort Benton Tour; Fort Benton, MT Creator: Ken Robison Date: July 2020
McGraw's Saloon McGraw's Saloon. Front to side view of the building, facing west to southwest from a distance on Front Street. Source: Overholser Historical Research Center, Fort Benton Tour; Fort Benton, MT Creator: Photographer unidentified Date: Date unknown

Location

1512 Front Street, Fort Benton, Montana | Private

Metadata

The Montana National Register Sign Program, “McGraw's Saloon,” Historic Montana, accessed December 1, 2022, https://historicmt.org/items/show/231.