Filed Under Fort Benton

Davidson and Moffitt Harness Shop

Fort Benton Historic District

Fort Benton’s building boom of 1887-1894 saw the construction of many commercial buildings made of locally produced soft brick. This fine example was built in 1881 as a saddlery by Davidson and Moffitt of Helena. The River Press Company, publisher of the town’s newspaper, purchased the building in 1883. The local news has been printed on these premises ever since. Decorative corbelling and four arches over the front windows and doorway embellished the original one-story structure.

Images

Davidson and Moffitt Harness Shop Davidson and Moffitt Harness Shop. Close front view of the building, facing northwest on Front Street. Source: Overholser Historical Research Center, Fort Benton Tour; Fort Benton, MT Creator: Ken Robison Date: July 2020
Davidson and Moffitt Harness Shop Davidson and Moffitt Harness Shop. Front view of the building, facing northwest on Front Street. Source: Overholser Historical Research Center, Fort Benton Tour; Fort Benton, MT Creator: Ken Robison Date: July 2020

Location

1410 Front Street, Fort Benton | Private

Metadata

The Montana National Register Sign Program, “Davidson and Moffitt Harness Shop,” Historic Montana, accessed December 2, 2022, https://historicmt.org/items/show/227.