Filed Under Fort Benton

Church of the Immaculate Conception

Fort Benton Historic District

When fire destroyed the original Church of the Immaculate Conception in 1905, this beautiful Tudor style structure of rough cut stone and ornamental half-timbered gables replaced it in 1907. Salvaged from the blaze was a bell christened in 1880 for prominent resident Michael Flanagan. The bell, known as the “Voice of Michael,” still serves the community from its lofty perch in the stone bell tower. Stained glass memorial windows, dedicated to some of Fort Benton’s pioneer families, adorn the interior.

Images

Church of the Immaculate Conception Church of the Immaculate Conception. Front to side view of the church building, facing north to northwest on Chouteau Street. B&W. Source: Montana State Historic Preservation Office. Creator: John Lepley Date: July 1980
Church of the Immaculate Conception Church of the Immaculate Conception. Rear view of the church building, facing south to southeast near 16th Street. B&W. Source: Montana State Historic Preservation Office Creator: John Lepley Date: July 1980

Location

1518 Choteau Street, Fort Benton, Montana | Private

Metadata

The Montana National Register Sign Program, “Church of the Immaculate Conception,” Historic Montana, accessed December 1, 2022, https://historicmt.org/items/show/224.