Filed Under Fort Benton
Church of the Immaculate Conception
Fort Benton Historic District
When fire destroyed the original Church of the Immaculate Conception in 1905, this beautiful Tudor style structure of rough cut stone and ornamental half-timbered gables replaced it in 1907. Salvaged from the blaze was a bell christened in 1880 for prominent resident Michael Flanagan. The bell, known as the “Voice of Michael,” still serves the community from its lofty perch in the stone bell tower. Stained glass memorial windows, dedicated to some of Fort Benton’s pioneer families, adorn the interior.