Generations of native people enjoyed this wooded promontory long before settlers discovered it. In 1902, Charles and Alicia Conrad chose this spot for their own eternal rest and envisioned it as a place of beauty for all. In 1905, the Board of Trustees hired the cemetery’s first superintendent. For the next twenty years, English immigrant William F. Tucker and his wife Jennie made their home in a cottage that once stood on this site. As the Tuckers’ two children grew up, Tucker‘s son James worked with him alongside maintenance crews, tending the grounds and improving the winding driveways.