Filed Under Fort Benton

Chouteau County Courthouse

Fort Benton Historic District

Minneapolis architects Kees and Fisk drew the plans for this magnificent Queen Anne style courthouse, which opened in 1884. As the seat of one of Montana’s nine original counties, its grand appearance represents the early affluence of this “Chicago of the Plains.” The building is constructed of soft local brick with cut granite trim and features a square clock tower. Though the clock was never added, stone inserts and pilasters provide ample adornment. Original chairs and desks furnish the dignified second-floor courtroom.

Images

Chouteau County Courthouse Chouteau County Courthouse. Close front to side view of the clock tower and peak above the entry of the courthouse building, facing north near the intersection of Franklin Street and 13th Street. Digital photograph. Source: Montana Historical Society Creator: Joe Furshong Date: June-Aug. 2019
Chouteau County Courthouse Chouteau County Courthouse. Front to side view of the building, facing north near the intersection of Franklin Street and 13th Street. Digital photograph. Source: Montana Historical Society Creator: Joe Furshong Date: June-Aug. 2019
Chouteau County Courthouse Chouteau County Courthouse. Front view of the building, facing northwest near the entry of the building off of Franklin Street. Digital photograph. Source: Montana Historical Society Creator: Joe Furshong Date: June-Aug. 2019

Location

1308 Franklin Street, Fort Benton | Public

Metadata

The Montana National Register Sign Program, “Chouteau County Courthouse,” Historic Montana, accessed December 3, 2022, https://historicmt.org/items/show/222.