Filed Under Fort Benton

Bank of Northern Montana

Fort Benton Historic District

The bank was established June 1, 1880, by T. E. Collins, Charles Duer and L. H. Hershfield and Brother. It was first located in the Benton Record Building, then moved to this location in October 1881. The bank remained here until the large two-story building was built on the corner, and its name was changed to Stockmen’s National Bank. This site had previously housed Wells Fargo and the Benton-Helena Stage Company; in later years the telegraph office was located here.

Images

Bank of Northern Montana Bank of Northern Montana. Front view of the building, facing west to northwest on Front Street. Source: Montana State Historic Preservation Office Creator: Photographer unidentified Date: July 2018
Bank of Northern Montana Bank of Northern Montana. Front view of the building, facing west on Front Street. Digital photograph. Source: Montana Historical Society Creator: Joe Furshong Date: June-Aug. 2019
Bank of Northern Montana Bank of Northern Montana. Front view of the building, facing northwest on Front Street. Digital photograph. Source: Montana Historical Society Creator: Joe Furshong Date: June-Aug. 2019

Location

1310 Front Street, Fort Benton, Montana | Private

Metadata

The Montana National Register Sign Program, “Bank of Northern Montana,” Historic Montana, accessed December 3, 2022, https://historicmt.org/items/show/220.