South Butte and the main business district up the hill grew toward each other as the streetcar line along Utah Street connected the two parts of the city. By the turn of the twentieth century, spaces between the two areas had disappeared and neighborhood proprietors like Thomas Manley and Charles Stevens did a brisk business. The partners’ grocery, built in 1909 for $10,000, was a longtime neighborhood fixture, which operated under the name of Stevens and Manley Grocers until circa 1945. Glazed and unpainted red brick, granite-trimmed windows, and three bands of simple corbelling reflect the straightforward architectural trends of the early twentieth century. Bricked-in doorways document subtle changes over time. Like many of its contemporaries, the building housed a second floor lodge hall. The Catholic Order of Foresters met here twice a month and in 1911, the hall temporarily served as St. Joseph’s Catholic Church after fire destroyed the church proper.