1116 South Nevada Avenue
Butte National Historic Landmark District
Platted by 1881, Nevada Street was part of the rare Butte neighborhood more oriented toward the railroad (which paralleled Front Street) than toward the mines. The bustling community was home to railroad and warehouse workers, as well as streetcar conductors like Peter Taylor and Albert Dockstader, who lived here with their families in 1910. The flat roof (rarely seen on single-family homes) and off-center entrance are clues that this small brick residence was then a two-family flat. Unified by a full-width front porch, the shotgun duplexes matched the building next door until at least 1957. Grace and Joseph McCauley purchased the duplex, installing indoor plumbing in 1913. The long-time manager of the Stevens and Manley grocery and meat market, Joseph worked only three blocks away. Twenty years his junior, Grace worked as a waitress in 1930. That year, they lived in 1116. They rented the neighboring unit (1118) for $30 to zinc miner Harry Jacobs, his wife Chester, and their lodger, unemployed hotel clerk Edison Carey.