These two buildings are at the heart of what was Butte’s Chinatown. By 1890, nearly 400 Chinese lived and worked in this area. Chinese businesses—physicians, druggists, tailors, laundries, and restaurants—served the population. The Wah Chong Tai Company constructed its building in 1891 to house a mercantile stocked with a general line of Chinese goods, including porcelain, teas, and silk. In 1909, the company added the Mai Wah Noodle Parlor. The “beautiful, luxurious” noodle parlor occupied the second floor of the building.