“Ores, mineral and mining rights reserved” stated the title abstract when contractor C. C. Goddard purchased this lot for $1,200 in 1897. Goddard, who lived next door, likely built this two-story brick home, which stood on the lot by 1900. The beautiful curved bay decorating the front façade brought sunlight into the interior. The design is most often associated with duplexes constructed in crowded neighborhoods, but this building always seems to have been a single family home. Banker Thomas Hodgens purchased the property in 1900; although the sellers still reserved the mineral rights, they agreed “not to mine or excavate within 20 feet of the present surface.” Hodgens rented the house to switchman James Hughes, who lived here with his family and two roomers, a lawyer and a law student. In 1913, widow Mary Stanley purchased the residence, where she lived with her daughter Leone, a stenographer. When Leone married musician Howard Kitto, Mary deeded them the home, but she continued to live with them until her death in 1942. Members of the Kitto family resided here until 2003.