Filed Under Walkerville

St. Lawrence O'Toole Church

Butte Historic District

Bishop Brondel created Butte’s second Catholic parish, that of St. Lawrence O’Toole, in 1897. Constructed with $25,000 raised by miners’ subscription on land donated by the Butte and Boston Mining Company, the Gothic Revival style church was completed that year in time for Christmas Day mass. Although a central steeple has been removed, the wood-frame building remains as excellent example of period ecclesiastical architecture, featuring exquisite fresco paintings (circa 1906) on its interior wood-beamed ceiling. The exterior was painted white in the 1960s for the filming of an episode of the television series “Route 66.” The St. Lawrence Preservation Committee, founded in 1988, maintains this architectural treasure for the community.

Images

St. Lawrence O'Toole Church, Walkerville, MT
St. Lawrence O'Toole Church, Walkerville, MT View of facade Source: iPhone 8 image capture, jpeg Creator: Martha Kohl, photographer Date: May 28, 2021
St. Lawrence O'Toole Church
St. Lawrence O'Toole Church St. Lawrence O'Toole Church, facing southeast, front/side view. Source: MontanaPictures.net Creator: MontanaPictures.net Date: August 2003

Location

1306 North Main Street, Walkerville | Private

Metadata

The Montana National Register Sign Program, “St. Lawrence O'Toole Church,” Historic Montana, accessed March 5, 2024, https://historicmt.org/items/show/1978.