Filed Under Butte

St. Mary's Church

Butte National Historic Landmark District

Square towers, a central circular window, and stained glass grace this Catholic church, which long represented the heart and soul of Butte’s Irish community. St. Mary’s Parish, founded in 1902 by Bishop John Brondel, encompassed a neighborhood of miners and tradesmen. Fire destroyed the original St. Mary’s Church on Wyoming Street in August of 1931. Pastor J. M. Nolan and his congregation laid the cornerstone for this church the following December on land donated by the Anaconda Copper Mining Company. The new St. Mary’s remained an integral part of community life until the parishes of St. Lawrence O’Toole and St. Mary combined in 1978. Today St. Mary’s houses the headquarters of Our Lady of the Rockies Foundation.

Images

St. Mary's Church
St. Mary's Church St. Mary's Church (PAc 91-51 B4 RollMaM03 F35). Front to side view of the church building, facing east to southeast on North Main Street near the corner of North Main and East Gagnon Street. B&W. Source: Montana State Historic Preservation Office from the Photograph Archives at the Montana Historical Society Creator: Mary Murphy Date: 1984

Location

440 North Main Street, Butte, Montana | Private

Metadata

The Montana National Register Sign Program, “St. Mary's Church,” Historic Montana, accessed May 18, 2024, https://historicmt.org/items/show/1975.