Filed Under Great Falls

C.E. Davis Residence

Great Falls Northside Residential Historic District

Charles E. Davis, “expert watchmaker and jeweler,” arrived in Great Falls with his wife, Grace, in 1900. With Charles’ two brothers, the couple opened a store on bustling Central Avenue, selling jewelry, watches, cut glass, gifts, and eyeglasses. Their son, William, continued the family business, and Davis Jewelry remained a Central Avenue institution until 1983. The Davises built this two-story residence in 1902. The home’s architecture bridges the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. The fish-scale shingles in the gable end evoke the Queen Anne style, but most of the home’s features reflect the cleaner lines of the Colonial Revival style, which became increasingly popular after the turn of the century. Charles and Grace raised four children, three of whom continued to live here into adulthood. In 1930, the residence, valued at $10,000, sheltered Charles and Grace, two grown sons, a teenage daughter, and a live-in servant. When Charles died at the age of seventy-seven in 1948, he was thought to be Central Avenue’s oldest active businessman. Grace remained in the family home until 1958.

Images

817 4th Ave N.
817 4th Ave N. 817 4th Ave N. GTF, MT. C.E. Davis House 4-2-90 SHPO N porch was enclosed - now open (verso) b&w print Source: Official records of the Montana State Historic Preservation Office, Helena, Montana Creator: Unidentified photographer Date: April 2, 1990
C.E. Davis Residence
C.E. Davis Residence C.E. Davis Residence (PAc 91-51 Great Falls R11 F11). Front to side view of the house, facing northwest on 4th Avenue North. B&W. Source: Montana State Historic Preservation Office from the Photograph Archives at the Montana Historical Society Creator: Photographer unidentified Date: 1983

Location

817 4th Avenue North , Great Falls, Montana | Private

Metadata

The Montana National Register Sign Program, “C.E. Davis Residence,” Historic Montana, accessed July 13, 2024, https://historicmt.org/items/show/197.