Originally a three-story building, this old-timer was constructed circa 1884 as a restaurant and hotel. From 1888 to 1900, the upper floors were the Clarendon Lodging House managed by Anna Parker and later by Sophia Helmstedter and Mary Schmidt. The third story was removed during remodeling in 1915, and the Chequamegon Cafe opened here in 1917. It was a longtime favorite lunching place of both workers and copper kings. The name, derived from a word of Native American origin, proved a tongue-twister for many of the miner patrons, who called it the “Chew Quick and Be Gone Again.” From 1926 to 1954, under manger Algot Hultman, the Chequamegon advertised as “We Never Close” and “That’s All.” Although the ground-floor windows and doorway have been modernized, this early Butte building retains its original cast-iron storefront and fine decorative brickwork.