Filed Under Butte
Butte National Historic Landmark District
Elaborate details enhance this residential/commercial building, originally of one story, constructed in 1900. Its upper floors were added circa 1910, and the apartments were among the better uptown lodgings. The masonry building has its dual function in common with its immediate neighbors and, like the Hamilton and Casey Blocks, mimics architectural forms common in eastern industrial cities of the period. Of special interest are the central third-floor brick arches, which end in Corinthian capitals, and horizontal bands of floral-patterned terra cotta, which divide the façade. The Maley Block, with its three-bayed, cast-iron storefront, appears as impressive today as it did in the early 1900s.