The early 1890s brought an urgent need for more living and street-level commercial space. John F. Kelly commissioned the Butte architectural firm of Freys, Bartlett and McMillan to design this commercial-residential Queen Anne style structure in 1892. The upper façade, reminiscent of row house construction in eastern cities of the period, may well reflect the Chicago affiliations of C. T. Freys. Ground-floor commercial space first housed Kelly’s wholesale fruit and produce firm, before Shiner’s Furniture located here from 1898 to 1980. Apartments and lodgings were available on the upper floors.