H.D. Rossiter Store (J.M. Maddison Store)
Early in 1872 a mercantile store was established on this corner under the name of Hamilton & Sweet. On February 15, 1884, Henry Douglas Rossiter bought a share of the store and the name was changed to the H. D. Rossiter General Store. For more than a decade, Rossiter worked hard in the store six days a week, and on Sundays he would load a wagon and head for the mountains to sell his goods at one of the mining camps. Probably because H. D. Rossiter was also a miner, he couldn’t help but “grub stake” other miners as they headed for the hills. In 1898, Rossiter leased the dry goods business to Ogden Brothers so that he could concentrate on the construction of this brick building. It was completed in October of 1899. Rossiter built the first bank in Sheridan, became the town’s mayor, and later, a state representative. J. M. Maddison bought into the business in October 1902. In its heyday, the business included seven other buildings: a granary, tack shop, grocery warehouse, glass house, pipe shed, ice house, and a powder-dynamite house, which is still standing by the cemetery. Maddison and later his son, Jim, operated the store for over seventy years. Thus, the prominent Sheridan landmark with its classic Western Commercial style façade continues to anchor the business district. As H. D. Rossiter used to say, “STILL DOING BUSINESS AT THE OLD STAND.” Come on in!