Delicate turned spindles, classical columns, red-rippled stained glass, and a welcoming front porch evoke the gracious hospitality of a bygone era. City planners intended South Yellowstone Street, with its unusual width and spacious feel, as a haven for Livingston’s prominent citizens. The Hefferlin family built this Queen Anne style home around 1891. Members of the large Hefferlin clan were pillars of Livingston’s early commerce. Patriarch Charles Hefferlin built Livingston’s grand opera house, organized the Merchants’ Bank, and owned much local real estate. In 1901, William N. Hefferlin acquired the property, where he and his wife Kate raised their son Willard. William was a machinist by trade, but with his two brothers Orlando and John, he organized the Hefferlin Mercantile Company, a commercial cornerstone from the 1890s to about 1915. William and Orlando also founded the Old Faithful Camping Company, operating horse-drawn transportation in Yellowstone Park. In 1917, with the advent of motorized travel, William returned to his first occupation. He worked as a machinist for the Northern Pacific until his death in 1935. Kate remained in residence for more than another decade.