According to an oral tradition handed down in the Crockett family, this gable-front cottage was moved here from “Old Town.” It was remodeled circa 1901 when it is first recorded on this lot. At that time, prominent merchant W. A. Talmage owned the property and lived here between 1902 and 1903 while his elegant residence at 716 N. Hauser was under construction. Postmaster William R. Crockett purchased the property in 1906, and it remained in his family through grandson A. H. Davis, Jr., until the 1970s. One of thirteen such cottages in the Hi Bug neighborhood, this example is particularly distinguished by the unusual addition of pedimented window heads. The barn, now an auto garage, is contemporary with the residence and one of few such outbuildings that remain in the neighborhood.