Filed Under Red Lodge

Talmage / Crockett House

Hi-Bug Historic District

According to an oral tradition handed down in the Crockett family, this gable-front cottage was moved here from “Old Town.” It was remodeled circa 1901 when it is first recorded on this lot. At that time, prominent merchant W. A. Talmage owned the property and lived here between 1902 and 1903 while his elegant residence at 716 N. Hauser was under construction. Postmaster William R. Crockett purchased the property in 1906, and it remained in his family through grandson A. H. Davis, Jr., until the 1970s. One of thirteen such cottages in the Hi Bug neighborhood, this example is particularly distinguished by the unusual addition of pedimented window heads. The barn, now an auto garage, is contemporary with the residence and one of few such outbuildings that remain in the neighborhood.

Images

Talmage/Crockett House, Red Lodge, MT View of facade Source: iPhone 8 image capture, jpeg Creator: Martha Kohl, photographer Date: June 2021
Talmage/Crockett House Talmage/Crockett House (PAc 91-51 Red Lodge/Hi-Bug HD R01 F04). Front to side view of the house, facing west to northwest on Hauser Avenue North near the corner of Hauser and 6th Street. B&W. Source: Montana State Historic Preservation Office from the Photograph Archives at the Montana Historical Society Creator: Photographer unidentified Date: July/Aug. 1985
Talmage/Crockett House Talmage/Crockett House (PAc 91-51 Red Lodge/Hi-Bug HD R02 F24). Front to side view of the house, facing west to southwest on the corner of Hauser Avenue North and 6th Street. B&W. Source: Montana State Historic Preservation Office from the Photograph Archives at the Montana Historical Society Creator: Photographer unidentified Date: July/Aug. 1985

Location

423 Hauser Avenue North, Red Lodge, Montana | Private

Metadata

The Montana National Register Sign Program, “Talmage / Crockett House,” Historic Montana, accessed November 28, 2022, https://historicmt.org/items/show/165.