Filed Under Red Lodge

Pollard Hotel

Red Lodge Commercial Historic District

The Rocky Fork Coal Company constructed this hotel, originally the Spofford, which welcomed its first guests on July 4, 1893. This architectural landmark, built before the commercial district was platted, originally had its main entrance on 11th Street, which was the busy roadway leading to the Eastside coal mines. Early guests included Buffalo Bill Cody, Calamity Jane, and William Jennings Bryan. In 1903, an annex added twenty-five guest rooms and the Golden Rule Store. By 1907, the entrance was relocated to Broadway. The Pollard’s commercial space housed the post office, a bank, and other tenants, and it soon became a primary business and social center. Today the brick walls chart a century of remodeling and change.

Images

Pollard Hotel View of facade and main entrance Source: MT State Historic Preservation Office Creator: Kate Hampton Date: April 2015
Pollard Hotel, streetview Still image capture of the hotel located at 11th and Broadway. Streetview looking to the northwest. Number 41. b&w print. Source: Official records of the Montana State Historic Preservation Office, Helena, Montana Creator: Kommers, McLaughlin, & Leavengood, Architects
120 E. Callender, Livingston, Montana 59047
Date: September, 1981
Pollard Hotel View to south Source: MT State Historic Preservation Office Creator: Kate Hampton Date: April 2015

Location

2 Broadway Avenue North , Red Lodge, Montana | Private

Metadata

The Montana National Register Sign Program, “Pollard Hotel,” Historic Montana, accessed December 1, 2022, https://historicmt.org/items/show/141.