Filed Under Red Lodge

The Iris Theater

Red Lodge Commercial Historic District

Originally intended as a meeting hall with storefront space, tenants Byton Down and Robert Pryde redesigned the building’s ground floor before its completion for use as a theater. When the Iris opened in 1925, residents viewed it as welcome competition since ownership of Red Lodge theaters had previously been monopolized by one family. The Slavonian National Protective Society used the upper floor meeting hall while the front section held an apartment. Sound equipment was added in 1929 and the Iris, later the Park Theater, operated until 1961. Distinctive brickwork in red and buff and the 1930s marquee distinguish this Red Lodge landmark.

Images

Iris Theater Facade Source: Montana Historical Society Creator: Bryan Baldwin Date: July 24, 2022
The Iris Theater/Park Theater Still image capture of Iris Theater/Park Theater facade, 7 South Broadway, Red Lodge, Montana. Image adhered to paper with typed information. b&w print. Source: Official records of the Montana State Historic Preservation Office, Helena, Montana Creator: Unidentified photographer Date: 1985

Location

7 Broadway Avenue South, Red Lodge, Montana | Private

Metadata

The Montana National Register Sign Program, “The Iris Theater,” Historic Montana, accessed November 28, 2022, https://historicmt.org/items/show/132.