Filed Under Red Lodge

A.H. Davis Jewelry Store

Red Lodge Commercial Historic District

This distinctive two-story brick building designed by W. H. Perham of Butte enlivens the district’s architectural landscape. Red Lodge jeweler Allen H. Davis opened his well-equipped new shop here in the original one-story building in 1902. Expansion in 1906 added the second floor with its false-front, sheet metal cornice and wood-paneled oriel windows. The lovely bays, though common in vernacular western architecture, are the town’s only example of this detail. The tin ceiling that graced the interior of Davis’ shop remains today.

Images

A.H. Davis Facade Source: Montana Historical Society Creator: Bryan Baldwin Date: July 24, 2022
A.H. Davis Jewelry Store Still image capture of A.H. Davis Jewelry Store, Red Lodge, Montana. Image information drawn from related images in the Red Lodge Commercial Historic District files at the Sate Historic Preservation Office. b&w print. Source: Official records of the Montana State Historic Preservation Office, Helena, Montana Creator: Unidentified photographer Date: 1985

Location

16 Broadway Avenue North, Red Lodge, Montana | Private

Metadata

The Montana National Register Sign Program, “A.H. Davis Jewelry Store,” Historic Montana, accessed December 1, 2022, https://historicmt.org/items/show/128.