Filed Under Red Lodge
Carbon County Courthouse
Red Lodge Commercial Historic District
Butte architect P. J. Donahue drew the plans for the 1899 landmark after fire destroyed its predecessor. Situated at the busy northern end of the commercial district, the building today provides an excellent example of restrained, classically proportioned public building design. When foundation settling after construction produced a wide crack on the northeast wall, fear of collapse caused rapid evacuation of the courtroom on several occasions before it was stabilized in the 1940s. Despite numerous alterations and additions, the courthouse retains its prominence as a sturdy reminder of the town’s role as the political and economic center of Carbon County.