Filed Under Fromberg

John Gibson House

Norwegian-born immigrant John Gibson arrived in the Clarks Fork Valley at the turn of the twentieth century and soon opened brickyards in Fromberg and nearby Belfry. Gibson became one of the area’s most prominent contractors, constructing Fromberg’s first brick building, the I.O.O.F. Hall, in 1906. Gibson’s future, however, did not lie in bricks. When a competitor supplanted his company in 1909, the resolute contractor established a small concrete plant adjacent to this property. Here Gibson began to manufacture concrete block for building construction, sidewalk blocks, drain tile, flue liners, and fenceposts. By the 1910s, his patented culvert design was acclaimed the best on the market, and in 1914, Gibson supplied the concrete for the construction of the Fromberg Concrete Arch Bridge. To promote the use of concrete and demonstrate its viability in residential construction, Gibson built his own home of concrete block next to the factory circa 1909. It was, and still is, unique to Fromberg. Gibson subsequently enlarged the home and in 1929, tastefully remodeled it adding Craftsman style detailing. A gable-roofed front porch and extended eaves with exposed rafters add the characteristic elements of this popular style. Concrete lug sills and stucco with an unusual mixture of rock and colored glass reveal Gibson’s exceptionally fine craftsmanship.

Images

John Gibson House
John Gibson House John Gibson House. Front view of the house, facing north on West River Street. Source: Montana State Historic Preservation Office Creator: Lon Johnson Date: Mar. 1992
John Gibson House
John Gibson House John Gibson House. Front to side view of the house, facing northeast near the corner of West River Street and Missouri Avenue North. Source: Montana State Historic Preservation Office Creator: Lon Johnson Date: Mar. 1992
John Gibson House
John Gibson House John Gibson House. Rear to side view of the house, facing southeast from the backyard of the residence. Source: Montana State Historic Preservation Office Creator: Lon Johnson Date: Mar. 1992

Location

219 West River Street, Fromberg, Montana | Private

Metadata

The Montana National Register Sign Program, “John Gibson House,” Historic Montana, accessed May 26, 2024, https://historicmt.org/items/show/117.