Raymond Hough House
Raymond Hough, one of six entrepreneurial brothers who settled in this area, came to “String Town” in 1900. Mining, ranching, banking, and business ventures accorded the Houghs prominence in the community. Raymond served as bookkeeper and later as both manager and secretary of the Bridger Coal Mine under brother George, president of the mine. Raymond resigned in 1909 to pursue other business interests and opened a grocery store in 1912. Raymond and his wife, the former Bertha Barlow, built this residence in 1910. The Bridger Times predicted that the home would be a “handsome building,” and indeed it was the most refined residence in the community. Two polygonal bays and a spacious clipped-corner porch with Doric columns highlight the combination Queen Anne/Colonial Revival style home. Untouched by alterations or additions, this beautiful residence retains its original irregular shape. Between 1914 and 1916, the Hough brothers suffered financial misfortune. George, Clint, and Guy filed bankruptcy, Bodley joined the army, and banker William, accused of forgery and grand larceny, allegedly escaped to Mexico with $34,000. Though Raymond fared better than some of his brothers, foreclosure of his grocery business in 1915 prompted a move to Cody. This fine home remains today, illustrating the Houghs’ former importance in the founding of this small community.